ABOUT THIS POSITION
We seek a Materials Specialist to join our team of talented artists. We work with a proprietary engine across multiple platforms, and you would have the opportunity, and responsibility, to deliver bespoke textures and materials for our projects. Your comfort with Art Theory will be tested by various settings, from fantasy landscapes to sci-fi hallways to surreal abstractions. You need to have a strong understanding of modern DCC apps, especially Substance Designer and Painter but also Z Brush and Photoshop. You will need a strong portfolio demonstrating your craft applied to high sci-fi and fantasy settings, as that is our studio focus. The primary focus of this position will be to create textures and materials from scratch. You must have an expert understanding of PBR workflows and the interactions between materials and light.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in an agile environment driven by JIRA and BaseCamp in a Kanban workflow and have an excellent understanding of efficient techniques for game production.
- Use traditional art skills and knowledge of the latest DCC applications to build high-quality materials and source textures.
- Collaborate with Tech Art to develop advanced shaders and material art pipelines.
- Build and maintain a high-quality PBR material library.
- Create documentation supporting techniques and processes.
- Mentor and guide fellow artists to build a stronger team.
- Bring the game’s visual design into game-ready art.
- Handle, texturing, modelling, and UV mapping with guidance from the Lead Artists and Art Directors.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas toward the game’s visual identity and development.
- Assess risks in your work and manage its timely delivery.
- Actively participate in the feedback loop.
- Stay current on the project’s scope and maintain an understanding of the art and story of our projects.
- Effectively prioritize competing short and long-term tasks while maintaining your eye for detail.
- 3+ years of previous experience in the video game industry, having shipped at least one AAA title in the role of Materials Specialist or Environment Artist
- Excellent understanding of art fundamentals and design, a keen eye for composition, shape, colour and detail.
- A portfolio that demonstrates superior materials creation and an expert understanding of PBR workflows and the interactions between materials and light
- A solid ability to optimize your materials and models
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Strong DCC experience and understanding of modern asset creation workflows. Modelling with Max, Maya, and Blender, sculpting with ZBrush, and texturing with Painter and Designer
- Have enthusiasm and interest in both sci-fi and fantasy genres
- Traditional art background or applied experience
- Strong composition skills and understanding of colour theory
- Experience with more technical software (IE: Speedtree, World Machine, Houdini, and similar)
ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 75 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™. The studio's most recently announced project is the much anticipated Soulframe®, an open-world action-fantasy MMORPG title that is currently under development.
Digital Extremes is headquartered in London, Ontario, Canada, and is proud to be selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, achieving this recognition for the last ten years in a row.
For more information and exciting news related to Digital Extremes, please visit www.digitalextremes.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Virtual access to Dialogue, our mental wellness and healthcare services app
- Professional development and career support
- Work-life balance fitness subsidies
- Be part of “Giving Back” through a multitude of fundraising venues at DE
- Virtual events such as team building exercises, Games night, Live band performances, Adult and separate children’s holiday and summer parties for global teams!
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through our website: https://grnh.se/e81a72787us