This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Aug 28, 2020
DATA AND VISUALIZATION SPECIALIST
JOB TITLE: Data and Visualization Specialist
SALARY RANGE: $52,411- $69,312
HIRING RANGE: $52,411 - $66,898
DATE OF VACANCY: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2020 September 20
POSITION SUMMARY: The Data and Visualization Specialist provides the Planning Department with expertise on quantitative and qualitative methods, data management and analytics. The incumbent will undertake on-going maintenance and advanced use of the Department’s tabular, relational and geospatial databases and will create dynamic mapping and data products to assist in strategic student accommodation planning exercises and the development of student accommodation solutions. The incumbent will create and maintain forecasting models to assist with the provision of short and long-term student enrolment projections, explore accommodation scenarios and develop workflows to automate compilation of data from multiple sources. The incumbent will leverage strategic thinking and strong analytical skills to develop and recommend student accommodation planning solutions that align with the strategic priorities of the Board.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Successful completion of a three (3) year advanced diploma or four (4) year degree in Data Science, Statistics or Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Geomatics or Geography, or a combination of education and experience in a related field. Post-graduate or other advanced training / experience in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial analysis is an asset.
A minimum of one (1) to three (3) years experience required. Public or school board experience in a role focussed on data management or analytics is an asset. Working knowledge of statistical, demographic and housing data analysis is an asset. Ability to exercise a high level of independence, integrity and confidentiality is required.
The recruitment process requires a criminal background check for work with vulnerable persons.
Please note it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is received by Human Resources on or before the deadline date.
If you were educated outside of Canada, you must have your certificates and/or diplomas or degrees assessed against Canadian education standards. This will enable you to provide proof of Canadian equivalency when applying for a job. The Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada is a membership organization that offers fair and credible academic credential assessment services in Canada. (NOTE: This is different from translating credentials into English).
Please use the "APPLY FOR THIS POSITION" link below to submit your electronic application. Only applications submitted using this link will be considered.
If you have a disability that requires an accommodation to assist you with any aspect of the hiring process, please contact the Staffing Specialist listed below for assistance.
A. Torchia, Staffing Specialist, Human Resources
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Undertake on-going maintenance and advanced use of the Department’s tabular, relational and geospatial databases
- Create dynamic mapping and data products to assist in strategic student accommodation planning exercises and the development of student accommodation and planning solutions
- Create and maintain forecasting models to assist with the provision of short and long-term student enrolment projections
- Explore accommodation scenarios and develop workflows to automate compilation of data from multiple sources
- Leverage strategic thinking and strong analytical skills to develop and recommend effective student accommodation planning solutions that align with the strategic priorities of the Board
- Build, improve and optimize internal department processes related to data management, analysis and visualization
- Synthesize data from various sources and extract useful information to assist in the development of student accommodation solutions and strategic planning initiatives
- Assist in assessing the quality of data collection to ensure distributed information is verified and of the highest possible quality
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets and create predictive models based on those patterns
- Create, manipulate and update spreadsheets and databases using advanced functions and tools, including complex formulas, macros, SQL and algorithms
- Extensively use, update and maintain a geographic information system for performing geospatial data processing, spatial analysis, map interpretation and creating maps and graphics for a variety of uses
- other duties as assigned